Website Home page
The Liskeard Silver Band was established well over 100 years ago. Today, the band still plays regularly at carnivals, fetes, floral dances, civic parades and concerts in Liskeard and the surrounding towns and villages. A varied repertoire of brass band music is played ranging from marches and competition pieces to light popular music. The players range in their competency from relative beginners to 'time served' musicians.
During school term times, the band undertakes to teach the basics of brass instrument playing to novices both young and old. Once proficient, 'students' can continue tuition in the Improvers Band before graduating to the main band. Instruments can be loaned to players.
The Band is a non-profit making organisation relying on engagement fees, donations and grants to maintain instruments, uniforms and wholly owned band rooms in Barn Street, Liskeard.
Main Band practices are held at 7:30pm on Friday evenings to which musicians of all standards are invited. Beginners lessons are held at 10:00am on Saturdays and improvers at 6:30pm on Thursdays.
General Secretary Jenny Foster
7 Meadow Park, Liskeard PL14 4EX
Telephone 01579 344321
Little Gormellick Farm, Lodge Hill, Liskeard PL14 4JX
Telephone 01579 342955
e-mail [email protected]
Chairman Don Howlett
Telephone 07799 878591
Musical Director Malcolm Blamire
Treasurer Dave Elsey
Telephone 01579 342073
The Liskeard Silver Band has its roots going back over 100 years.
It was in 1886 that one of the first bands in Liskeard, the Greenbank Band, was formed from members of the Sunday School. The conductor was Mr J Mitchell. In nearly all cases the bandsmen brought their own instruments.
After some years this band gave up and a new one, called Liskeard Borough Band was formed under Mr C Penny.
In about 1901, the Liskeard Temperance Band came into being, which continued until about 1914 when war broke out. Some of the members, together with a few of an old Volunteer Band, decided to carry on for the duration under Mr T Edmonds.
When the Liskeard Silver Band was named and formed in 1920 it became an immediate success and entered various contests. The first was at Fraddon under the direction of Mr RT Honey. The Band obtained third place in competition with such bands as Camborne and St Dennis. They also competed at Camborne, Bugle, Wadebridge and Plymouth, and at Stenalees in 1928 when MrT Priest, an ex-Band Sergeant of the Devon and Cornwall Light Infantry, was bandmaster. The band engaged a professional trainer, Mr E F Woodhead, and carried off first prize, competing against 16 other bands and obtaining 94 marks out a possible 100. They also took the 'Richards' Cup and a 'Special' for the best player in the section, won by Mr L Colmer (cornet).
Mr T Priest continued until 1929 when Mr GF Strand became bandmaster. Mr Priest took over again in 1935.
During Mr AC Repper's term as bandmaster (December 1937 to 1954) the band won two prizes at Exeter in the West of England Championships. In 1946 they won fourth prize in the third section, and in 1947, under Mr CH Baker of St Austell, who took over while Mr Repper was indisposed, they gained third prize.
Since 1954 bandmasters have changed more frequently:
Mr Priest 1954-56
Mr GW Humphrey 1956-59
Mr D Olver 1959-61
Mr T Priest 1961-65
Mr Harry Edgecombe 1965-7?
Mr Bernard Sutton
Mr Vivian Wills
Mr Steven Pucky
Mr Don Howlett 1993 - 2001
Mrs Tessa Lewis 2001 - 2004
Mr Malcolm Blamire 2005 - present
Mr PP Cowling was a playing member of the band for 41 years (1937 - 1978) and general secretary for 50 years (1948 - 1998). He retired in 1998 after 61 years association with the band.
To be continued....
Other Matters (click on the picture)
Page Last Revised: 26 May 2005
For links to the Brass Band Ring and the Brass Band Internet Group click here:-